Real Estate Agents – Do You Have the "But I Can Stage My Listings Myself" Syndrome?
Real estate agents sometimes do their own staging. This can involve anything as simple as telling the client to declutter to as time-consuming as going shopping for new bedding. Many of them think that doing it themselves rather than hiring a home stager will be easier than having to convince their clients to spend money. Also, many real estate agents feel that they can do what stagers do.
So ask yourself, does this sound like you?
And if the answer is YES, ask yourself these 10 (plus one bonus) questions:
- Do you want to tell your clients their home is untidy and has too much stuff in it?
- Do you want to tell your clients to get rid of family photos and their prize collections?
- Do you want to tell your clients that their home smells like a cat or a dog?
- Do you know how to get a vacant home fully furnished and accessorised?
- Do you have the time to shop for bedding, towels, knickknacks, etc?
- Do you want to spend hours deciding the optimal placement of furniture and accessories?
- Do you really have the eye of an interior decorator or a home stager?
- Are you comfortable recommend paint colors?
- What do you do when the husband and wife do not agree with your “staging” recommendations? Whose side do you take?
- Is this how you want to be spending your time?
- Do you think your client would appreciate you taking time away from marketing their home rather than leaving this up to a professional?
So the next time you think “But I can do this myself”, think about the fact that it’s the same as a seller thinking that they do not need a real estate agent to market and sell their home. You know that you can do a much better job than they can because of your experience, knowledge and contacts, to name a few qualifications.
Hiring a home staging professional is the way to go if you want the job done right.